Saturday, February 12, 2011

WAACHA TU!

I really love this quote from Oscar Wilde:
“The world has grown suspicious of anything that looks like a happily married life.”

I would hope it's not true for the bulk of society but it seems like so many are skeptical about the long haul of marriage and immediately question it if a couple appears to be happy more than six months out from their wedding day... Shouldn't happiness be the default for the scores of people who take the plunge each year? Not being lukewarm, feeling stuck or drowning in misery...

I've been married for close to two years now *applause* and the two words I can use to describe my experience thus far are WACHA TU! It's been crazy, madly exciting, inspiring, mind boggling, solemn and to wrap it all up WACHA TU!

There are days when I could L.O.S.E. I.T. My husband and I are fire and ice. Literally. I'm the happy-go-lucky "I'll take it!" type and he is the excel-sheet "priorities" type. This loosely translates to a number of possible ways that we could kill each other. And we did those first few days. Until we discovered that our differences are what make us a team. Our business is thriving because of these differences. He'll never be spontaneous, and I'll probably never be able to perfectly execute anything the way he does, but that's why two get greater return for their labor. Innit?

Marriage is made to be for life and if two aren't happy together, don't truly enjoy each other and aren't willing to shoulder a storm every now and again because they both realize that joy is waiting on the other side, I don't see the point. Life is too fleeting to spend it being neither here nor there about who you wake up beside each morning... Marriage gets a bum rap and it makes me sad because it can be a really great adventure. No other relationship is designed to be as intimate, as honest and as lasting as marriage is.

Thank you, God, for seeing that it wasn't good for man to be alone. (Tiffany Parks)

No comments:

Post a Comment