Thursday, July 3, 2014

Sandals In The Sand - Chapter One

 "Hello sweetheart..", the unmistakable deep baritone voice rang through the phone. "Was just headed to bed and remembered I haven't spoken to you today. I needed to hear your voice."

And just like I did all those years ago, I smile. Ear to ear. I close my eyes and try to bridge the distance between us. Amazed at how a feeling so long gone, could be so easily reawakened. As if it had never been separated by time, by space, by events. A feeling so strong it appears to have never skipped a beat from that odd time many, many years ago. I cling to the phone, willing him to draw closer still.

I reminisce. I smile. I close my eyes. He is closer to me now than he ever was. I can feel him. My heart races. I am living out a romance novel word for word!

I'm taken back to that first time I saw him. Young and impressionable. Far away from home. Life just beginning to happen. He, standing at the port, hard at work, counting, interviewing, noting. I, sent to pen it all down. My first real assignment. Trailing my new boss up and down trying to get the story done. And then I saw him. He was literally tall, dark and handsome, and in all sense of the words. I continued on, working... and staring. Amazed at how composed he was amidst the madness of the day. He'd done it before numerous times. I was only just getting one foot in to the system.

Was that a ring?

I wondered how one person could be so well put together. I studied him. Something about him seemed different from all the guys I'd known. He had a sort of manliness, strength and confidence about him. Something about him spelt warmth, comfort, care. You knew just by looking at him, that you'd be lucky to have him on your team.

Damn it! Was that a ring??? Did I spot a ring?!

He weaved his way through the crowd seamlessly. Hundreds of people stood there that day, but I saw only him. Your eyes truly do see just what they want to see. I would turn my back, talk to someone, write something, consult the boss. I would turn back and in an instant I'd have him locked in sight. Like a drone waiting to fire a shot, my target's position was fixed. For a moment there, I imagined he saw me too. I imagined he noticed me. I imagined he felt me there. For a moment there, I thought beyond the happenings of the time. I imagined him clasping my hand in his as we walked along the beach. Feeling the coolness of the ocean water sweeping over my feet. Leaning in. Gazing up. Soaking in. I imagined the perfect sunset and a gentle breeze crowning the beauty of the moment as I dug my sandals deeper in to the sand. Not wanting that moment to pass. Never wanting to let go. I stood there dreaming. He worked.

Darn, that's definitely a ring he's rocking! Could be just one of those rings right? Guys do that as well right? Smack on the ring finger no less. Left hand? Is that his left hand? He is wearing a ring on his left ring finger!!!

How did I get here? I sink deeper into my bed, pulling the covers over my shoulders as I try to mimic the warmth of his embrace. How did he do it? How, all these years later, are my feet solidly planted in the emotion I felt that day, years ago, when it all began? Why am I staring at my phone, waiting for it to buzz; his name flashing at me in bright yellow? Why am I holding my breathe, composing myself before I finally pick up? How did he get here? How did he get me here? The longing, the dreaming, the wishing.. all so real once again.

"Have a good night dear. Let's talk tomorrow." The conversation is coming to an end. Long before I'm ready to let him go. "I love you.."

And just like that, my sandals are stuck in the sand once more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet
    I always laugh and cry in equal measure whenever I read your posts. My favorite line is "by God was I played". Hahaha. You got it straight from my heart. You write in a very raw and real ' am not pretending' kind of way. You give me hope. I've been through worse things and never had any understanding person by my side but God has held me nonetheless. The last lovey dove post made me go 'aaaaaawwww'. If I wasn't this hardened I'd have cried. Keep writing. Keep writing for me. I have read your posts religiously since I discovered your blog mid last year. I read. Everything. Every time. You write for me. I don't know why it has taken me an eternity to write back but better late than never. Thanks a lot. Joy

    ReplyDelete