Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tujenge Uchumi Yetu

Hmmmm.... so turns out Uchumi Supermarket has found a way to jenga their Uchumi. By ripping off their own customers. But let me be fair. My post on Facebook on the above has drawn a lot of interest including complaints saying the rip offs are not limited to our homegrown supermarket, but also to the other chains like Nakumatt and Tusky's.

So how do they do that?

I'll give you my story. So Saturday after an exhilirating day at my daughter's sports event, I stopped at Uchumi to shop for some guests that I was having later on that day. While I was at the till I noted the cashier running my Alfredos by and then picking the packet up, and running it back again. I was too absorbed to check to see what he was doing so I let it pass. Anyhoo, my three bags were packed and placed on my trolley. On my way out, I remembered that I'd promised to buy Nia a ball so I left my trolley with the guy at the Left Luggage counter and proceeded upstairs. About 5 minutes later I returned to pick my trolley and there was another lady there with another trolley. I remember glancing at hers because I thought, "Hey, didn't I have more shopping than this?" Still, being in a rush, I dashed out and left for home.

On getting home, I realized that I did have more shopping that didn't make it from the supermarket to my car. I was incensed at the thought that someone could take a bag of shopping when I left my trolley at the proper place and informed someone to watch over it for me. So I dashed back while preparing my argument for the manager or employee of the month person that I would make sure learnt of my utmost disgust at how his employees were behaving.

Anyhoo I get to the supermarket and go to customer care and find these gentlemen of Asian origin who are more incensed than I am because they had been informed by an aisle staff that the gas cylinder they were purchasing was 4,500 including the regulator, but on arrival at the till, it was 4,900. So they wanted a refund. The lady bluntly said she could give them a credit note, but they wanted cash, because "we are never shopping at Uchumi again, so we don't want a credit note." Anyway, that went badly. I was next on line, and I blankly said "look I shopped here and forgot to pick one of my bags and I've noticed that I was charged twice for some of the items". Comes the nonchalant response, "Okay what is it that you forgot?" I show her my receipt, she checks her book and says, "Oh you know the guy who was packing them brought a bag with those things, we returned them to the shelves. Just go back and shop for them again, and the things we charged twice, just pick two so that I don't have to give you a credit note."

I had so many questions and things I wanted to say to the lady. But the Asian guy was out-yelling, out-spitting and out-cursing me on all levels. He was MAAAD!!! So I held it in and went back and shopped and got all my stuff back.

But I was curious as to why some of the things weren't listed in her book. Still she let me have them. I supposed I, the customer, was right on that day. I even double shopped so that she didn't have to give me a credit note. Only to learn a couple of days later that they do this AAAALLLLL THE TIIIIIIIMEEE like Jeff. You go to she shelf you pick an item, it says 45bob. Okay, you go the counter, they run it, its 99bob. WTH? Or they run your card twice. Or they run items twice especially when you buy multiple items like 10 packets of milk. And they just hope and pray that they meet a shopper like me who isn't vigilant enough to check her receipt, well NOT ANYMORE UCHUMI! Not anymore. This girl here, is onto you Uchumi. I ain't taking none of that no more.

In fact, let me head off to Uchumi just now, let's catch them at their own game.

No comments:

Post a Comment