Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A 90K Wife

Lately I've been wondering about how good I am at being a wife. I finally picked up my ring from the ring shop. Yes, me and those rings again. Not my upgrade, no. Just my old ring back. I spent 2 hours less than I usually spend at the ring shop. Normally its half an hour of jokes with Jayesh, followed by an hour with Smita trying on rings I could never afford, and then its 45mins of negotiating with Jayesh for rings I could never afford, and then about another 45mins of catch-up with Smita where she tells me who has stopped by to upgrade his wife's ring, and who will be by next week. We still did the same cycle... no need to change a winning team now is there? Only it was on fast forward because I had a business brunch at Java to dash to.

So Jayesh gave me back my ring, after 3 unsuccessful trips to the shop to get it back. I should be happy. I'm not happy. Neither am I sad. I am content. Really I am. I have so much more to be grateful for; bigger things to wish for. So then I started thinking about these men who buy their wives rings because they had a baby. Two rings if they had twins. I thought about the guy who just bought his fiancee a 90,000Kshs ring. What was going through his mind? And why doesn't he share a mind with my husband??!! Lol.

Then I thought, maybe I haven't got to the point where my husband treasures me enough to invest 90K in my transient happiness! Maybe he doesn't deem me worthy. Could it be? Could it be that in my husband's eyes, I have not done anything deserving of a 90K ring? Or maybe we just can't afford it right. No, that's too obvious. I am melancholic, I have to analyze everything and look deeper into it.

So I thought about these 90K wives and fiancees. What do they do to make them so deserving or these precious metals that cost a FORTUNE! (By the way if you are looking for  ring please buy one from Jayesh and Smita they promised me a commission :) But what do they do, that I don't? I must confess I haven't taken this wife thing very seriously. I know women who bend over backwards for their husbands. Boy oh boy do they bend ALL the way back! I know women who make tea from scratch and heat food on the cooker. Forget my microwave tea and teabags. I know women who brew that tea for a certain number of minutes, because it's what their husband wants. I know women who serve their husbands on their knees. Okay, forget them. I know women who don't ever sulk; women who replace missing buttons while ironing and feeding the baby. And then there's me. I'm just me. He liked it, he put a ring on it, I suppose I couldn't get worse, but do I ever go out of my way for this man that I absolutely love?

Ponder.

Google is my friend. And so is the Bible. So I searched for the most scary book, chapter and group of verses. I've always ignored this section because to me, the standards were unattainable. Like this part 15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. Seriously? While it's still dark? Is that really necessary? But I read through it and then researched more about it's translation in modern times. And it really isn't that scary. Because it also says 16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. I like that part. I like that it gives me permission to inspect land in Kitengela and to BUY it and then plant a vineyard.

Ponder.

And then it hit me.. Proverbs 31:10 A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds. I confess, nobility is not my strongest virtue. Perhaps why I am not yet at the 90K ring point. I am not, but I will be.

Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies.
Proverbs 12:4 An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who shames him is like rottenness in his bones.
Proverbs 19:14 House and wealth are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the LORD.

no·ble  (nbl)
 Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor:

No comments:

Post a Comment