Monday, February 15, 2010

Mind My Own Business

Speaking of Lenses, nothing annoys me more than people who try to take advantage of me and my photography. Listen, I am a darned good photographer. And I get better with every job. So don't try and make me shoot your wedding for 15K and then demand for 40K service. In fact, the only reason I'm agreeing to do your wedding for 15K is because I like doing weddings. Scratch that. I love shooting weddings. I like all the crazy characters involved, like the one woman who sings and dances like her life depends on it. I love all the bridezilla moments in the morning when a hairpin is missing, or a car has not showed up on time. I love the aunties walking in ululating to a bridesmaid, because they don't even know who the bride is. I love every excruciating moment spent on my feet from 6am to 6pm, without food, without a break, and then being invited to evening parties to unwind, and being asked to carry along my camera. I love meeting new people, learning new songs. I love leaving the photo session and wondering if I got all the shots. (I always nail it!) I love weddings. I absolutely do.

So listen, I'm happy to hand you over to a photographer of your choice and of your budget. But if I'm your choice photographer, pay me what I ask, and let me give you the best memories EVER!

2 comments:

  1. Ehe! So if you agree to do the wedding that should cost 40k for 15k, do you give 40k or 15k value!? If you give 40k value, then they will keep coming back for better work and less pay! Just flat out refuse. Or, give the 15k package 18k value (at the MOST) and let the client know what they will (not) get for that price. If they go to another person, they know what they have missed out on...

    Had a pal who got married and I suggested your services to her. I told her she'd love having your work in her album. She opted to use a friend. The same friend also offered another service for her wedding.

    Let's just say that the wedding pictures are not all they could have been. The grounds were lovely, the weather was every bride's dream, but we wasted the opportunities for impeccable photos. They were (are) bland. Her album's not complete, and the print outs are poor. Sad. But, that's what you get for wanting to go cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I just seeing this comment? Yikes! Yes, you have defined my problem. I can't do bad work IRREGARDLESS of what I'm being paid. I just can't. I'm a good photographer. So yes, I will take your advise and just not do the job. Like I've turned down a 15k for Easter and I lost another one last week because I wouldn't negotiate. It's a small price to pay... I hope.

    ReplyDelete