Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Small Doses

"When a person decides to fearlessly influence society, then he/she will inevitably threaten established forces-that-be that benefit from the status quo. Such forces will do everything in their power to isolate and keep them down" ~ Pastor Muriithi

So Hellon is in trouble with the law-keepers. Apparently his church has contravened a few laws in the way they operate and now it is being referred to as a cult. See this is why I call my blog Through MY lenses, because for all intents and purposes, from the outside looking in, Hellon IS running a cult. He has this massive house in Runda, has a lot of money, and has about 10 single women living with him and his wife. Common sense would ask many questions about this arrangement. Alarm bells are ringing now because he got tangled up with a famous tv presenter Esther Arunga, and apparently she quit her job and left her family to go and join the 'cult'. Hmmm.

But I was once a member of that 'cult'. Years ago as I finished Uni, while looking to discover my purpose and get deeper in my faith I joined a group of people who wanted to achieve the same and we formed the "Love Team". I remember spending several nights at the Pastor's house, my friends and I. We practically moved in. We would use our pocket money to buy food and cook and we became like a family. We spent Fridays kesha-ring, Saturday's at Praise and Worship and on Sunday, Hellon would come to preach. I loved it! I couldn't get enough, so I extended my stay. My mom was so upset with me. She told me I was in a 'cult'. I told her she didn't understand my faith, and that she was standing in the way of me and my God. We never saw eye to eye.

I remember when Nimrod Hellon became Joseph Hellon. We had all learnt about the significance of names and whom you are named after. Like how your daughter Rahab turns out to be a prostitute, or your cousin named after your drunken uncle, turns out to be an alcoholic. Turns out Nimrod had some demonic connotations. So we were happy when he dropped the name and picked Joseph.

"Love Team" would go to schools to preach and be banned from ever returning because we had become what we called a "Demons Must Flee" group. We would see demons on chairs, trees, fruits, anywhere! We would go to schools and leave girls screaming out demons during preps. The teachers didn't like it. We were banned. We moved on. I remember our Pastor being beaten to pulp by a cop whose Muslim daughter converted to Christianity during one of our missions. It was a mess. But we loved it. We loved being in Love team. I loved it! I loved the 'power' that I had. The power to lay hands on people and have them fall to the floor. I had found an identity. Someone who cared for me and accepted me. Not just God, but Hellon.

Fast forward.... Eventually, it would be the pastor's fiancee that would kick us out of her soon-to-be house, which we found outrageous!! How dare she! But it was that kick that jolted me back to the real world. See, there is absolutely nothing wrong with praying and worshiping and casting out demons. Its what Jesus would have done. However, one word needs to apply; MODERATION. Even the Bible says "knowledge puffs up; wisdom lingers".

So I feel bad for Hellon, from where he stands, he is just doing what he needs to be doing. Spreading the word and the love. But from the outside looking in, he better have a better explanation.

2 comments:

  1. Everything in moderation indeed. I remember waking up one Sunday getting ready for church and feeling very very proud that I was living this super saved life, in the church choir, speaking in tongues and casting out demons! I was going to heaven and my housemates who were sleeping in their hangovers weren't. That's the day I decided that pride had nothing to do with being a Christian...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumetoka mbali sana. Amazing how when you are deep in it you never can see past the end of your nose. Everyone's going to hell except ME! Woi!

    ReplyDelete